Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Daily painting

Lilies in jar. Oil on canvas, 22"x16"




`The lilies took a little longer than I thought they would. I had a single sprig and it wouldn't stand upright in the jar I'd put it in. By the time I had arranged the flowers in the light and stopped it falling over with an elastic band, the light started fading. I'll finish them tomorrow and post an image.

Glasses.
I need reading glasses for close work but when I start a painting I don't use them (does any body else do this?). I find eyeballing without glasses enables me to read tone and spacial relationships better. I do wear them later on in the painting process but this causes a problem. I can't focus on the still life but my painting is in sharp focus and there is a kind of fazing going on. Variofocals distort too much. Hmmmm. I end up wearing two pairs of specs - one pair above the other. All very well until my partner brings a cup of tea and spills it over my work with laughing so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment